Saturday, March 5, 2011

Chocolate Chip Cookies - Healthier And Just As Tasty


I got this adorable card for my birthday from Nate's Mom, Vicki. She really knows me! I don't allow myself to keep all of the cards I get. (I have too much clutter already.) But, I think I will have to hold on to this one! It inspired me to write this post, sharing 3 modifications to a chocolate chip cookie recipe to make them (a little bit) more healthy. These are so soft and delicious that I could eat them all of the time. (I'll try not to.)


If you are going to make cookies, why not try to make them as healthy as possible? Then, you don't have to feel as guilty about how many you eat. Not even the ones you sneak late at night while no one is watching!  After making cookies, I always wake the next day to having far fewer cookies than I had when I went to bed! Nate is more of a cookie monster than I am!




Tip # 1: Always use oats!
They add a more flavor, texture and nutrition! Oats have so many health benefits, from reducing cholesterol, reducing the risk of cancer and helping to regulate blood sugar and blood pressure. (Read more at eatmoreoats.com.) Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies may not be the best (or only) way to get your oats, but every little bit helps! 

Tip #2: Replace butter with apple sauce!
We live in apple country, so we have canned local apples for the past two seasons. Last year, we canned at least a dozen quarts of apple sauce! This stuff is so smooth and sweet and has absolutely no additives (except maybe a dash of citric acid for better canning). For your cookies, any cookies really, replace equal amounts of softened butter with apple sauce. You don't have to can your own, but it sure does taste better! We like having it on hand at all times, as another one of those pantry staples. Keep the oats on hand too and you can make yummy cookies anytime.

Tip #3: Use whole wheat flour!
This tip applies for pretty much any baking. We have started replacing all recipes calling for all-purpose flour with organic whole wheat. The flavor it brings is subtle, yet it makes breads, cakes and cookies have a slightly more complex taste.

The Recipe:
So, I am not so advanced in my cooking that I come up with all kinds of recipes on my own. Maybe one day. For now, I look at recipes I find on the internet, or on the side of the box of oats and I modify them. I also like to combine aspects of several different recipes to get what I want. My cookie recipe came from the Quaker oats box. I have included my modifications here. Hope you enjoy!

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies 
Ingredients:
-1 cup apple sauce
-1 1/4 cup brown sugar
-1/2 cup sugar
-2 large eggs
-2 tablespoons vanilla
-1 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
-1 teaspoon baking soda
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-2 1/2 cups oats
-2 cups chocolate chips

*Heat oven to 375 degrees
*Beat apple sauce and sugar until creamy.
*Add eggs, milk & vanilla. Beat well.
*Add flour, baking soda & salt. Mix well.
*Fold in chocolate chips 
*Drop onto ungreased cookie sheet.
*Bake 9-10 minutes for chewy cookies. (They may not look totally done when you remove from oven.)
*OR Bake 12-13 minutes for crispier cookies. (You will probably never achieve a fully crispy cookie from this recipe. The apple sauce adds so much moisture, that we have never had dry or crispy cookies when using it.)

*Other modifications: Instead of chocolate chip cookies, try mint chocolate chips, dried cranberries with white chocolate chips or with nuts and pumpkin seeds. There are endless combinations!

2 comments:

  1. YUMMM I wrote this one down. I think I'll make them for my classroom on St Patty's Day - perhaps add either green food dye, or green m&ms!!

    ReplyDelete