Friday, February 18, 2011

Sharing the cobbler love...

Mmmmmm Cobbler!
Besides eating raw, this is the BEST way to enjoy fresh fruit, in my opinion. Fresh local peaches... blueberries... even with my homemade apple pie fillin'. I'm new to the cobbler game, but the experimentation has been very fun! 

I did some online research, combined a few of my favorite recipes and made it my own. This time I added some oats to the dough. It was crispy on top, soft & gooey on bottom. I enjoyed this summery treat with the frozen blueberries we picked at Graveyard Fields* this August.

Of course, it's best enjoyed with fresh vanilla ice cream .... dreamy!

You asked for it.. Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter
1 cup flour   
3/4 cup sugar (for batter)
1/2 cup sugar (for fruit)
2 tablespoons baking powder
1/2 cup milk
4 cups fruit (be creative!)
A few tablespoons of brown sugar & cinnamon (for topping)


Melt butter in a 2&1/2 quart baking dish, in a 350 degree oven.
Combine flour, sugar (3/4 cup), baking powder & milk.
In a separate bowl, combine sugar (1/2 cup) with fruit.
You can add 1-2 cups of water to the fruit if you want a moist cobbler. 
Now for putting the stuff in the buttery hot pan to bake. You have 2 options:
1) Spoon the batter into the pan, mostly covering the bottom of the pan. 
Then cover with the fruit, finally sprinkling the brown sugar & cinnamon mix over the top.
OR...
2) Add the fruit to the buttery pan first, then cover with the batter & top with brown sugar & cinnamon.
This has been my method of choice. The results have never disappointed!
Bake in (already) 350 degree oven until it's browned to perfection. 
Time varies with the moisture of the mixture.. maybe between 10-15 minutes.

I love the seemingly endless ways I can modify this recipe. There are so many varieties of fruit that you can use to get the 4 cups it calls for! The oats I added (as pictured) made it nice and crispy and gave it a more complex flavor. I also like to think it made it more healthy! I hope you can have fun with this one too. Please, let me know what you come up with!








No comments:

Post a Comment