Thursday, February 10, 2011

Good Food, Bad Photos... And What's For Dinner

Nate & I have a collection of food pics that prior to deciding to blog, I had never thought to share with anyone other than our friend Mikell (the chef) or our Moms. The quality of the pics are definitely NOT up to my standards... especially since I have a degree in photography. I haven't done much food photography and I have heard that it can be challenging to make real food look as beautiful in a photo. As my blog develops, I hope to improve my food photo skills. We have been using either a camera phone (for easy sending) or our point & shoot cameras. I haven't pulled out the fancy SLR yet although I have been seriously thinking about it. I need to master the crappy lighting of my kitchen. I plan to refine the practice... but until then, here are a few memorable dishes from the past 2 years or so.....


 Nate's first loaf of bread. Hand kneaded, baby!


 Nate's homemade dill pickles.. freshly made from our home grown cukes.


 My first cobbler.. local peach & blueberry. Amazing!!! 
I have used this recipe several times since, and it never disappoints!


 My first apple pie. So pretty, all I wanna do is make pies!



 May River Blue Crabs, trapped by Nate & Mikell.


Nate's May River Oyster stew. One thing I truly miss about living by the sea!     







My first try at filo dough.. An apple tart. An hour and a half of butter painting fun!
   
 
      The payoff for the hour & a half butter painting party. Apple tart a' la mode.





 
My hand rolled sushi. Yes, that's masago.. we went all out!




Salmon, Asparagus, Cream Cheese yumminess!


Not just any chicken pesto.... Pesto with fresh basil from our garden. It's like gold!


Quite possibly the best brunch.. Smoked Salmon Benedict.. with my dreamy smooth hollandaise.


My first homemade corn bread. Made my Momma proud!


Spinach, Mushroom & Parm stuffed fish, w/ Tomatoes.. Not sure what kind of fish at this point, but it sure is pretty.


Our first homemade calzones w/ our home canned sauce.. I'm sure there were lots of shrooms, spinach & ricotta in there. 





~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What's for dinner, you ask?

Tonight it was.. 
Balsamic & Olive Oil Marinated Portobello Burgers, 
topped with melted provolone cheese, fresh spinach & tomato*, 
on a locally (and perfectly) baked bun. 
 On the side, Baked Sweet Potato 
& Sauteed Chard with Garlic and Olive Oil.

*Disclaimer: We try our best not to get out of season foods, like this tomato. 
It wasn't a pretty or exciting tomato, but a sandwich just isn't a sandwich without one. 



No comments:

Post a Comment